Monday, September 19, 2011

DIY Dry Erase Board with Paint Chips

It's been over a month since I said I wanted to try to make 2 pinned items from Pinterest a month. With moving, settling in, and a death in the family... I got a little behind. In fact, I made this dry erase board back in August but didn't even snap a picture until this month. And now I'm finally getting around to blogging about it. So does that mean this craft gets counted for August or September? And to make things even more confusing... This is kind of three crafts in one.


Craft #1: I bought this frame 50% off at Hobby Lobby. First I drew lines on it with a permanent marker to make a calendar. I didn't love the results because it just wasn't colorful enough. Then I pinned a dry erase board made with paint chips. So I went to the hardware store and picked up some paint chips. 35 to be exact. I got home and spent like an hour trying to get the permanent marker off, with great success. I lined up the paint chips and taped them all together. (I should have done that in the first place because it is really hard to draw straight lines with a permanent marker on a piece of glass... And it was really hard to get it off when I decided I didn't like it.)
Craft #2: I added the little "I love you because" which is an idea from another pin. Eric and I take turns writing there. He only does it because I make him. Lol
Craft #3: I made little die-cut 'stickers' to mark birthdays and holidays. I used my mom's Cricut machine and then laminated them. So fun and colorful!

I love how there is extra room on the left side for writing notes and leaving sticky note shopping lists. The reason the lists are on sticky notes instead of written with dry erase marker is so I can take the lists with me.

(I really wish I was capable of taking better pictures than this. Part of the problem is our extremely dark lighting conditions.)

So do you think this should count as one craft or three? I did do all three parts on different days. I love, love, love how it turned out.


I got the ideas for this craft from:

4 comments:

  1. This is great. So you write on the glass then? I really want to do this for my studio office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I write on the glass with dry erase markers, and it comes off with water when I'm ready for the new month.
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! :) I was wondering for the di-cut "stickers," how did you get them to stick onto the glass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use little pieces of Blu-Tack on the back. That way they are easily moved around from month to month. Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete