Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mushroom Veggie Burger

I looked up National Food Holidays because I was curious and found out that September is National Mushroom Month! So to celebrate I bought half of a pound of mushrooms at the grocery store. Of course I bought the mushrooms before I even knew what I wanted to make, so I ended up having to third the recipe I found. I just googled “mushroom recipe” and found a ton of recipes. Isn’t the internet great? These turned out so, so good. But I think next time I will chop the mushrooms much smaller to see if I can make it more like a hamburger. I will definitely be making these again, and I’ll be sure to plan ahead so I have hamburger buns. Although, these mushroom burgers were good bun-less too.


Mushroom Veggie Burger
Makes 2 burgers
Recipe adapted from Food Wishes
 
olive oil
1/2 lb of mushrooms, chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 big clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
salt
pepper
1 egg, beaten

Sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic with salt in olive oil over medium heat. After a few minutes, add Italian seasoning. Once all the liquid dries up, move mushrooms to a bowl and add rolled oats, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together, and then add the egg. Mix until combined, and let sit for at least 15 minutes so the dry ingredients can soak up the wet ingredients. (You could even cover and put in the fridge for the next day.) Put a little oil or water on your hands, and shape mixture into patties. Add a little olive oil to your pan and fry patties until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Serve just like you would serve a burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment