Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins

I love muffins! I especially love that you can freeze them, and have fresh muffins for weeks! (I pull one out of the freezer in the morning and microwave it for about a minute.)

I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and followed a few changes that I found in the reviews section to make it healthier... but still yummy!

While I'm already talking about Pinterest... I have 376 pins now! Crazy! And I spent over an hour adding a couple of new boards and reorganizing my pins. I separated "Crafty" and "DIY", and I separated "Eats" and "Sweets." I just had too many recipes and crafts! I'm still trying to decide if things like muffins should go onto the Eats board or the Sweets board. Right now they're in Sweets because that's where all my other baking recipes are. They'll probably stay there. If you haven't been to Pinterest yet, you should check it out!



Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and mashed

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 18 muffin cups.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar, and bananas. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg; Stir into the banana mixture until moistened. Stir in the strawberries until evenly distributed. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Cool before removing from the muffin tins. 

Notes

1. I lined my muffin tins, but I suggest you grease them instead. These muffins really stuck to the liners so I ended up with too much muffin stuck to the paper and not enough in my mouth!
2. I took a heaping cup of frozen strawberries, put them in a microwavable bowl, and microwaved for about 40 seconds. Then I took our pastry blender and mashed them up. I probably ended up with about 3/4 cup mashed strawberries.
3. I used 1/2 Tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. Next time I'll double it. I changed the recipe to reflect the change.
4. If you want a sweeter muffin, you should follow the recipe and add 3/4 cup brown sugar. 1/2 cup is sweet enough for me for a breakfast muffin.
5. I made 20 muffins, but I suggest making 18 instead. A few ended up pretty small. (Especially since so much stuck to the paper liners! Can you tell I'm really upset about that?)


I found (and adapted) this recipe from allrecipes.com via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment