Sunday, October 2, 2011

Step 1 to a Greener Swiffer Wet Jet

I love my Swiffer Wet Jet. But I hate how much the solution costs, and I hate that if my dog licks the wet floor... she gets the runs.  =/  TMI?  And I clean everywhere else in my house with green cleaners... So why do I still mop with chemicals?

There's a new mop out like the Swiffer Wet Jet but you can put your own cleaning solution in it. I almost bought one, but then I remembered we're poor. And I realized that throwing out a perfectly good mop for a new one isn't exactly "green." So, I went to the internet and googled to try and figure out a way to put my green cleaner into the Swiffer since there's no easy way to just screw the cap off. There are a ton of ways including drilling a hole and adding a washer and a plug and blah, blah, blah. Then I found a super easy way! I "pinned" the idea and waited until my Swiffer solution ran out.



All you have to do is boil the bottle to soften the plastic teeth around the cap. Our hot water at this apartment is super hot, so Eric suggested just holding the solution bottle under the water to see if it was hot enough to soften the plastic without having to boil water. After about a minute of holding it under the hot water, I tried to twist the top off. Nothing. I had Eric try and he got it! Yay! It also suggests to cut the little plastic teeth off so next time you don't have to soften the plastic... but I figured that was more trouble than it's worth. Esp since just holding it under hot water did the trick for me.

After I had the top off, I rinsed it out really well and peeled the labels off. I wrote on the bottle just because I wanted to. And so Eric knows how to fill it up if he ever wants to. I just filled it halfway with distilled white vinegar and the rest of the way with water. Then I added about 15 drops of lavender essential oil.

After less than 5 minutes of work, I now have a cheap, healthy cleaning solution in my Swiffer Wet Jet.

*UPDATE* Well, this didn't turn out as cool as I'd hoped. If you have a better experience let me know. All of my vinegar solution leaked out within a week.

I found this at lifehacker.com via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment